Previously I have talked about PLANNING, OWNING IT and putting in the WORK. OK I am a food guy who owns a meal prep company so talking about this aspect of the P.O.W.E.R. formula for personal wellness success should be easy right?
Ha-ha, it is easy to talk about, but so much information and misinformation is out there, and everyone has an opinion and is an expert. The E stands for EAT WELL but what does that mean? I think the one thing we can all agree on is that eating and proper nutrition are the keys to getting the physical results you want. You can work out forever but if you don’t adopt the proper eating habits you are like a dragster trying to get traction on bicycle tires!
Our team @fitkitchenyyc have always tried to keep our approach pretty simple and straight forward. Learning from some of the best minds in nutrition and athletic performance we stick with balanced macros, real, tasty, desirable, food with quality ingredients. Also, for the most part we stay away from gimmick diets and trends. We aim to make it easy for people to shift how they eat on an ongoing basis not a “diet”.
Here are some interesting facts:
- Diet accounts for roughly 80% of your success in achieving your desired health goals!
- Food definitely effects your mood, energy level and mental sharpness
- Extreme diets and under eating can be a big problem in maximizing your personal well being
- Daily brain function alone requires 20% of your base metabolic rate
- People eat too many fast burning carbohydrates and not enough slow digesting complex carbohydrates
- Highly processed foods, refined sugars = inflammation, diabetes
- Stress prompts cortisol release which for a prolonged period of time can promote poor eating cravings
- Most people don’t consume enough water – hydration helps with energy, fatigue, our brain is mostly water so it helps with focus and concentration
- Food is more than calories; macro and micro nutrients play a major role in physical and mental health (think protein, carbs, fats, vitamins and minerals your body needs)
- Feed yourself high performance fuel – like you would put in a fighter plane!
- Exercise and sleep are important factors combined with nutrition (and can reduce cortisol levels)
Proper nutrition and wellness habits play an important role in various aspects of our everyday health and thus what we can contribute to our family, community and work.
What does this mean for your daily eating habits?
- KICK START THE DAY – start the day with hydration, greens drink and a nutritious breakfast or snack
- ELIMINATE LOW ENERGY/MOOD SWINGS – eat nutrient dense meals and snacks throughout the day, hydration
- DIAL IN YOUR FOCUS – eat the right amount of calories and macronutrients for your body and activity level
- FORGET THE MID DAY CRASH – avoid large meals, avoid carb heavy meals
- NEXT LEVEL MENTAL ACUITY – feed the brain high quality fuel throughout the day, hydration
- STOP INFLAMMATION – no eating of processed food and refined sugars
- FEEL GREAT WITH A HEALTHY GUT – eat nutrient rich foods, micronutrients and probiotics
- WHEN DID YOU LAST EAT? – If it’s been longer than 2 – 4 hours its time to eat!
- WHERE IS THE COMPLETE PROTEIN? – Make sure you are eating at least 1 serving of complete protein (20-30g for women, 40-60g for men)
- WHERE ARE THE VEGGIES? – Make sure you are eating at least 2 – 3 servings of veggies. One serving is about ½ cup.
- WHERE ARE THE CARBS? – If you have fat to lose but haven’t worked out or done activity stick with a lower carb option. Need to refuel post workout? Include whole grains/complex carbs with your meal!
- WHERE ARE THE FATS? – Get your healthy fats from animal based sources, avocados, olive oil, or mixed nuts. Fish oil capsules are also a great way to get in your fats
- DRINK YOUR WATER OR GREEN TEA – Avoid the calorie filled drinks like soda, fruit juice, and anything else with more than zero calories
- DAILY ACTIVITY – Engage in physical activity. Mix it up with resistance training, cardio, stretching and mobility.
- NEVER MISS TWICE RULE – are you breaking any of the rules above? If so, do not let it happen twice in a row, get back on track with your next eating occasion or workout!
In summary there really is no P.O.W.E.R. without proper nutrition and EATING WELL!
Eat Fit and Feel Great!